Thursday, June 30, 2011
So! Here is the final of the Dragon Lair.
I had a few false starts with this, and after trying to start it from scratch I ended up just upscaling the color comp and working over that. It was my first time attempting that method, and it took a bit of elbow grease to get it to a polish I was satisfied with, but in the end it proved invaluable - especially with all the little color subtleties I got in the color comp. No need to replicate them!
Now that the environment is out the way, it's time to move onto the Dragon itself.
Tuesday, June 28, 2011
I went with the last thumbnail originally for my final piece, but I quickly realized it was a poor composition and didn't show off much of the scene. So I went back to my thumbnails, and picked this out as my favorite. After doing a little bit of clean-up and expansion, it was ready to figure out values and colors.
I do these steps separate - when it comes to stuff like I currently figure out my values first, then apply washes of color over it to figure out my palette. To achieve the color without ruining my values too much, I used a combination of multiply, overlay, hard light, color dodge, and normal layers.
I should point out for the color comp I didn't keep multiple layers - I usually stuck to three layers - one that was the main layer, another that was the lineart, and finally my "temporary" layer, where I would make changes to the comp before committing it to the main layer.
It was a lot of trial and error to achieve the look I wanted, and once I had it, it was time to move onto the final.
Sunday, June 26, 2011
So in the next part of the concept series I'm doing, I wanted to develop the lair of the dragon. For the planned storyboard sequence, this was where all the action was going to take place, so I decided on developing the environment location as a key painting to establish the look of the place, as well as a 3/4 top-down view to show off the larger area that everything might take place in.
I started off with a series of thumbnails. I wanted the dragon to live in a den, so I had at least some basic premise to work off of. There were a few trash sketches I did that were fairly uninspired and just a means for me to get a better visual idea going. Eventually I hit on the idea of the "cave mouth" idea and ran with that. I did a few different explorations of the idea until I settled on what I labeled as Number 6 in the lineup. I originally went with the last one, but after I started to hammer out the value study for it, it became quickly apparent that it was a boring take on it, and the composition wasn't very good.
From here, I went onto a value study and a color comp, which I'll cover in another post.
Saturday, June 18, 2011
These are from when I had the painter 12 trial still running - I decided to give the new watercolor brushes a try, along with some adjusted digital watercolor brushes that act like gouache (Because the gouache brushes in painter are so horrific and terrible that I can't fathom ANY use for them, ever.)
I still haven't found much of a need for painter yet - I really want to incorporate it into my workflow, since I adore the blending capabilities it has with brushes, but to switch over to an entire program just for that doesn't seem worth it. So for the time being, I'm seeing if I can get a similar effect with photoshop.
Thursday, June 16, 2011
As promised, here's the final of the turnaround. It's been done for some time now, but as I've mentioned earlier, I'm trying to play catch up with the various outlets I update on...unfortunately my own blog is one where I'm behind a few posts of art.
Up next: The intial design work for the environment! I'm actually quite excited for it, what I have so far looks and feels good to me.
Thursday, June 9, 2011
This batch of rough ideas are from a set of concepts I'm developing for portfolio purposes. The basic story is that a girl from a local clan has decided to take it upon herself to hunt and kill the indigenous dragon that inhabits the area. So ultimately, the portfolio will show the girl and her gear, the environment in which the little story takes place (which for the intents of the portfolio is the lair of the beast and the small surrounding area,) and the dragon itself.
So, to start with, these are rough explorations I had for the girl. I eventually settled on the turnaround below, and if you frequent the CA.org sketchbooks, you would have seen the finished file already. I wanted to make her young, maybe 10-12 in age - right on the cusp of adolescence.
Although at the moment I just finished the turnaround, I'm also aiming to do detail close-ups of the weapons, as well as flesh out that action pose of her.