Friday, April 8, 2011

Week 5 of digital painting - Photo textures. Blegh.

Last week's assignment was designing a robot and painting it using photo textures. For some reason, early on I got it in my head I wanted to do a construction robot. So, the Caterpillar Inc. Heavy-Lift Bot was created.

I've never been a big fan of using photo textures, and this assignment kind of reinforced it for me (though not nearly as much as this week's assignment.) I got lucky with my design being geometric, since it was mostly a matter of laying the texture into perspective with the Distort option and doing a few paint overs, but for the most part it seems like a messy process to me and more work than needed to get it polished.

In the end though I was happy with the result, though Erik was awesome enough to point out some improvements I could have made to it. Once this class is through I'm planning to go back and tweak it with those improvements in mind.

No comments: