Sunday, July 27, 2008

Ahab!






Well, here's a bunch of sketches of, weirdly enough, Captain Ahab. This isn't a story idea, rather a challenge for me to conceptualize characters in a similar universe. So, I decided to go after Moby Dick, and throw it in deep-space, starting with Ahab. I think I'm gonna go after Ahab, Moby Dick, Ishmael, and Queeqeq (I think that's how his name is spelt?) as my choice of characters, as well as Ahab's ship, the Pequod.

Anywho, Ahab's idea is that he's a species of creature that survives (or has adapted to) inhabiting mostly in deep-space, hunting the beasts that make up the deep-space seas. I decided to go with an idea that he has this organic body armor that also works as a containment suit, and when he steps out into space, it seals up tightly, preventing decompression death and allowing him to work in the near vacuum that is space. I'm still tinkering with ideas, but I want to bring some sea theme to him for sure, so I've been exploring conch shells and other sorts of shells/crustaceans as inspiration.

He's hardly finished, so there'll be more to come!

No comments: