Sunday, June 26, 2011

Dragon Lair - thumbnail workups

So in the next part of the concept series I'm doing, I wanted to develop the lair of the dragon. For the planned storyboard sequence, this was where all the action was going to take place, so I decided on developing the environment location as a key painting to establish the look of the place, as well as a 3/4 top-down view to show off the larger area that everything might take place in.

I started off with a series of thumbnails. I wanted the dragon to live in a den, so I had at least some basic premise to work off of. There were a few trash sketches I did that were fairly uninspired and just a means for me to get a better visual idea going. Eventually I hit on the idea of the "cave mouth" idea and ran with that. I did a few different explorations of the idea until I settled on what I labeled as Number 6 in the lineup. I originally went with the last one, but after I started to hammer out the value study for it, it became quickly apparent that it was a boring take on it, and the composition wasn't very good.

From here, I went onto a value study and a color comp, which I'll cover in another post.

No comments: